Noise nuisance complaint form

Noise nuisance complaint

We will investigate complaints about ongoing/repeated neighbourhood noise (such as music, noisy dogs etc) and noise from retail/commercial (such as bars and restaurants) and industrial premises, if they are affecting residents/businesses at their home/business property.

Urgent/out of hours complaints

We do not operate a 24 hour response to noise complaints. We aim to respond to complaints logged through this form within five working days, Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm.

What we won’t investigate

We will not usually investigate noise complaints about:

• children playing
• a one-off party or celebration
• normal household noise during reasonable hours, such as washing machines and tumble driers, doors shutting, flushing toilets, footsteps, and talking/conversation
• issues caused by houses having poor sound insulation
• road traffic and rail noise
• aircraft – find out more about aircraft noise

Have you thought about contacting the noisemaker before making a complaint

Before submitting a complaint, have you thought about first contacting the noisemaker to tell them about the problem? We recommend only doing this if you feel comfortable to do so and have put together a letter template to help. Contacting the noisemaker may resolve the problem more quickly and often leads to a better long term solution.

What to expect when you submit a complaint

This form asks for your agreement to take part in recording/logging the noise issue on a form over a period of two weeks. This will help us assess the scale of the issue and the impact on your life. If you do not complete the log sheets, it will hamper our ability to investigate your problem and we may not be able to help you without your crucial written evidence. Once you submit your form, we will send you the log sheet to fill in.

Anonymous complaints

We are sorry but we cannot take anonymous complaints through this form. We discourage anonymous complaints as we cannot take enforcement action without assessing the impacts of the problem on your life.

As part of this form, we will ask you for your email address. This is so we can keep you up to date on what we will do to resolve/address your issue.

Please use this form to report the following:

• Neighbourhood noise – such as repeated music, house/car alarms, DIY at unreasonable hours, barking dogs/other pet noise etc.
• Noise from commercial premises – such as music, noisy revelers, ventilation systems, alarms etc.
• Noise from industrial/manufacturing premises – such as construction, demolition, alarms etc.

Your privacy is important to us and any personal information you provide through our online forms will be collected and used to process your service request or enquiry in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018. Details on how we use your personal information are available in our Council-wide and service specific Privacy Notices.