Update on £150 energy rebate
We are currently testing the software that will enable us to pay the £150 energy rebate to direct debit payers. If the testing goes well, we hope to make the payment to direct debit payers in June 2022.
If you live in a band A-D property and:
- Have already paid a Council Tax instalment by direct debit this year (that has come out of your bank account) and you have not since cancelled your direct debit, you do not need to do anything – you will be in the first group of residents to receive your payment.
- If you are planning on setting up a Direct Debit so you receive the £150 payment automatically, you will need to do so by 26 May 2022. This is so we can take at least one council tax Direct Debit payment from you on 15 June 2022. If you have not paid a council tax instalment by Direct Debit on or before 15 June 2022, you will need to apply for the energy rebate when the online form is available.
- If you do not wish to set up a direct debit, you will need to apply online for your energy rebate. We hope to publish the energy rebate claim form in late June 2022.
- If you claim full local council tax support, please do NOT set up a direct debit - you will need to apply for the rebate when the form is launched. This is because if you claim full local council tax support you do not pay council tax, so we will not be able to take a payment from you to verify your bank account details.
How to set up a direct debit
- Visit www.southderbyshire.gov.uk/energyrebate
- Click on ‘visit our portal to set up a direct debit'
- Then click on 'pay by direct debit'
- You’ll need your name, address and council tax reference handy (this is shown on your bill).
- The name you enter must be the same name as detailed on your council tax bill – this is really important, otherwise your payment will not be made automatically and you will have to apply for your rebate which will be delayed.
- You’ll also need your bank account details (account number and sort code) to hand.
- You’ll need to select the date you would prefer your monthly direct debit instalments to be taken from your bank 1st or 15th of each month.
- It takes about 5 minutes to fill in the screens and submit your request.
- We will then email you to confirm we have received it.
- After we have taken one council tax instalment from your bank account, we will be able to make the £150 energy rebate payment to your account.
If you need help setting up a direct debit, you can call our customer services team on 01283 595795. Our telephone lines are open Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays between 8.45am and 5pm, Wednesdays between 9.30am and 5pm and Fridays between 8.45am and 4.30pm.
Please note the team are very busy answering lots of calls in relation to the rebate, so there may be a short wait before your call is answered. If you can set your direct debit up online we would encourage you to do so, as it may be quicker than calling our team.
If you do not want to pay by direct debit, we will launch an online application form once the direct debit payers have been paid, where you will be able to apply for the rebate. This will mean the energy rebate will take longer to reach your bank account due to the verification checks that are required. As soon as the form is available, we will publish it at www.southderbyshire.gov.uk/energyrebate
Apply for the energy rebate
As soon as the application form is available we will publish a link on this page. We envisage the form will be available in late June 2022.
13 May 2022