Call customer services
To contact our customer services team please call 01283 595795. Our telephone lines are open Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays between 8.45am and 5pm, Wednesdays between 9.30am and 5pm and Fridays between 8.45am and 4.30pm.
If you don’t have access to a telephone you can use the free telephone located at the Civic Offices.
To make a payment to the Council, please visit our online payment system or call our touchtone payment line on 01283 595865 which is available 24x7.
To email customer services, please fill in our contact us form. This helps us as it gathers all the information we need to give you the best possible service. Alternatively, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We have a range of online forms - just search for the service you need (for example noise complaint or council tax reduction).
Filling in an online form helps us to respond to you better as the forms gather all the information we need to process your request.
If you cannot find the online form you need please fill in our contact us form.
Visiting the Civic Offices
Our Civic Offices are open Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays between 8.45am and 5pm, Wednesdays between 9.30am and 5pm and Fridays between 8.45am and 4.30pm.
When you arrive at the Civic Offices, depending on the query type, we may offer you an appointment (by phone or face-to-face) with an advisor if your query relates to waste and recycling, revenues, benefits, debt recovery or housing repairs.
For all other services, including planning, licensing, environmental health, leisure we will take your details and ask a member of the relevant team to contact you to answer your query. You may not be contacted immediately and our team may call you back later in the day/on the working next day when an officer is available to do so.
We cannot take payments at the Civic Offices - please continue to pay your council tax and bills online, by phone, by touchtone or at the Post Office or PayZone.
The Civic Offices are located at: Civic Way, Swadlincote, Derbyshire, DE11 0AH.
SignLive for British Sign Language users
We are proud to have partnered with SignLive that offers an interpretation service for users of British Sign Language (BSL). To contact us using SignLive, visit the SignLive website to find out how to call us with the aid of a fully trained BSL interpreter for free.
Customers can also contact us via the TypeTalk/Text Relay operator. Find out more.
Out of hours support for urgent enquiries only
We are closed outside of working hours and on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays. During these hours we only offer out of hours support for emergencies, including support for people who are homeless tonight, emergency council house repairs, or emergency issues relating to council property that are a threat to life or property.
- If you need to report an emergency council house repair or an emergency issue that is a threat to life or property, please call our emergency line on 01332 912642.
- If you are concerned about being homelessness tonight, please call 0808 1692 333 or email: email@example.com
- If you are calling on behalf of a Careline Customer, please call 01283 221225.
- If you need to make a payment, visit www.southderbyshire.gov.uk, or call our touchtone payment line on 01283 595865.
Post and document drop off
If you want to send in or drop off documents, our Civic Offices are located at: Civic Way, Swadlincote, Derbyshire, DE11 0AH
We encourage all customers to raise service requests via our online contact form, or via phone or email (as detailed above). This helps to makes sure we capture all the information we need to help you as quickly and effectively as we can:
You can also comment on our central Facebook or our Twitter account.
The social media team at South Derbyshire District Council are responsible for several different social media accounts on a variety of platforms.
We’re happy to help you in any way that we can and look forward to seeing your views and feedback. We do however expect our users to offer us the same level of courtesy that we offer them, so we have a short set of house rules:
- Be civil, tasteful and relevant.
- Do not post messages that are unlawful, libellous, harassing, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, profane, sexually oriented or racially offensive.
- Do not swear.
- Do not post the same message, or very similar messages, more than once (also called "spamming").
- Do not publicise your, or anyone else's, personal information, such as contact details.
- Do not advertise products or services.
- Do not impersonate someone else.
Anyone repeatedly engaging with us using content or language which falls into the above categories will be blocked and/or reported to the associated social media platform.
Responding to users
- We’ll do our best to respond to your enquiries within two working days, but in most cases, it will be within a few hours.
- For service requests it is likely we will ask you to contact the team or department directly via other methods, such as phone or email.
- Our working hours are Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays between 8.45am and 5pm, Wednesdays between 9.30am and 5pm and Fridays between 8.45am and 4.30pm (Excluding bank holidays and public holidays). We’ll deal with enquiries sent outside of this time as soon as possible when working hours resume.