From Monday 19 July, for a review period, we will be maintaining limited face-to-face appointments at the Civic Offices through our Kiosk Room and emergency phone, while we determine the best and safest way forward.
This is because the safety of our customers and staff is vital. We have found that many of our customers also now prefer to contact us via telephone, email or online.
Answers to most of your questions and ways to apply, report and pay for services are available on this website. If you cannot find the information you are looking for, contact us using one of the methods listed below.
If you cannot find the service you need on our website, you can contact us using our online form.
Alternatively, you can email your enquiry to email@example.com.
Our telephone number is 01283 595795.
Our telephone lines are open Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays between 8.45am and 5pm, Wednesdays between 9.30am and 5pm and Fridays between 8.45am and 4.30pm. We are closed on Saturdays and Sundays.
We do not offer out of hours support for general/non-urgent enquiries in the evenings or weekends. If your enquiry is not urgent, please call back on the next working day.
SignLive for British Sign Language users
We are proud to have partnered with SignLive that offers an interpretation service for users of British Sign Language (BSL). To contact us using SignLive, visit the SignLive website to find out how to call us with the aid of a fully trained BSL interpreter for free.
Customers can also contact us via the TypeTalk/Text Relay operator. Find out more.
Emergency support and dropping off documents
Where it's not possible to resolve your enquiry online or over the phone, we may be able to offer a face-to-face appointment if this will help to resolve your enquiry. This will be booked for you by customer services or the relevant department at a mutually convenient time.
We would encourage residents/local businesses to pay online at www.southderbyshire.gov.uk, by touchtone on 01283 595865, by direct debit (for Council Tax or rents) or using a PayPoint outlet – this avoids having to visit the Civic Offices.
If customers don’t have access to a telephone or need an emergency appointment (for example they have become homeless), they can use the free telephone (accessed via the bus station rear entrance) provided to access support/book an appointment.
If customers need to drop off documents, they can do so via the postbox at the front of the offices.
Our offices are located at:
South Derbyshire District Council
Out of hours support for urgent enquiries only
We only offer out of hours support for emergencies, including support for people who are homeless tonight, emergency council house repairs, or emergency issues relating to council property that are a threat to life or property.
- If you are calling out of hours and are concerned about being homelessness tonight, please call 0808 1692 333 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are calling out of hours and need to report an emergency council house repair or an emergency issue, please call 01283 221225.
We encourage all customers to raise service requests via our online contact form, or via phone or email (as detailed above). This helps to makes sure we capture all the information we need to help you as quickly and effectively as we can:
The social media team at South Derbyshire District Council are responsible for several different social media accounts on a variety of platforms.
We’re happy to help you in any way that we can and look forward to seeing your views and feedback. We do however expect our users to offer us the same level of courtesy that we offer them, so we have a short set of house rules:
- Be civil, tasteful and relevant.
- Do not post messages that are unlawful, libellous, harassing, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, profane, sexually oriented or racially offensive.
- Do not swear.
- Do not post the same message, or very similar messages, more than once (also called "spamming").
- Do not publicise your, or anyone else's, personal information, such as contact details.
- Do not advertise products or services.
- Do not impersonate someone else.
Anyone repeatedly engaging with us using content or language which falls into the above categories will be blocked and/or reported to the associated social media platform.
Responding to users
- We’ll do our best to respond to your enquiries within two working days, but in most cases, it will be within a few hours.
- For service requests it is likely we will ask you to contact the team or department directly via other methods, such as phone or email.
- Our working hours are Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays between 8.45am and 5pm, Wednesdays between 9.30am and 5pm and Fridays between 8.45am and 4.30pm (Excluding bank holidays and public holidays). We’ll deal with enquiries sent outside of this time as soon as possible when working hours resume.