Business rates support and grants
COVID-19 business grants
The District Council is proud to have distributed over £15 million in COVID-19 business grants to businesses across the district to help support them the pandemic.
Business grants, support, reliefs, loans and more are currently available to help local businesses with lockdown or tiered measures:
Lockdown and tiered measures business grants
There are three grant schemes on offer to local businesses:
- ‘Closed for business’ grants – for businesses that are legally required to close under a lockdown, Tier 4 or Tier 3 measures. If you have already applied/received a grant for the November lockdown, you do not need to reapply for the January lockdown. Grants will be automatically awarded. Find out more
- ‘Open for business’ discretionary grants – for businesses that are not legally required to close, but are affected by a drop in trade as they rely on closed businesses. If you have already applied/received a grant for the November lockdown, you do not need to reapply for the January lockdown. Grants will be automatically awarded to eligible businesses. Find out more
- ‘Still closed for business’ grants – for businesses that haven’t been able to open since the first lockdown, including nightclubs and sexual entertainment businesses. Find out about these grants and apply
If you are unsure if your business was legally required to close, visit the government website.
£1,000 one-off grants for wet-led pubs
On Tuesday 1 December the government announced an additional one-off £1,000 Christmas grant for ‘wet-led pubs’ in tiers 2 and 3 who will miss out on much needed business during the busy Christmas period in December.
These grants are in addition to the closed and open for business grants detailed above.
In order to claim a grant, you must first apply for/be awarded a ‘closed for business’ grant (see above). Once your grant has been awarded, we will then send you a Christmas grant declaration form to complete.
If you have applied for a ‘closed for business’ grant and think you are eligible, but have not yet received a declaration form, please email email@example.com to request one.
The deadline for applications is: 31 January 2021
Open or closed, keep trading with your customers with ShopAppy
As part of our COVID-19 business support, South Derbyshire District Council and Derbyshire County Council have partnered with national brand ShopAppy to create online ‘towns’ so that businesses can promote themselves and trade securely online.
Whether you are a shop, market stall, hairdresser, beautician, taxi company, pub, café, insurance broker, or something else – ShopAppy can help you advertise and reach more customers. ShopAppy.com is a website which allows local businesses to display their goods and services, and offer online purchasing or booking with options for customers to click and collect or get goods delivered to their door.
For more details, visit: www.southderbyshire.gov.uk/shopappy
Business rate relief/holiday
The council has administered a business rates holiday for retail, hospitality and leisure businesses in England for the 2020 to 2021 tax year. The rates holiday has also been extended to private providers of childcare (nurseries not provided by the local council).
Businesses that received the retail discount in the 2019 to 2020 tax year will receive 100 per cent off their business rates for the 2020 to 2021 tax year.
Businesses are eligible if they are in the retail, hospitality and/or leisure sector or are private childcare provider (nursery not provided by the local council).
Properties that will benefit from the relief will be occupied hereditaments that are wholly or mainly being used:
- as shops, restaurants, cafes, drinking establishments, cinemas and live music venues
- for assembly and leisure
- as hotels, guest and boarding premises and self-catering accommodation
- as a private childcare nursery (not provided by the local council
Businesses do not need to do anything to access the relief. It is automatically applied to eligible accounts.
If you think your business is eligible but are concerned it has not been applied to your business, please email our business rates team on firstname.lastname@example.org or call our customer services team on 01283 595795 if you have any queries.
We are available Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 8.45am to 5pm, Wednesday 9.30am to 5pm and Friday 8.45am to 4.30pm.
If your business does not qualify for the relief, and you are having issues paying your business rates because of COVID-19, please email our business rates team on email@example.com or call our customer services team on 01283 595795.
Coronavirus business interruption loan scheme
A new coronavirus business interruption loan scheme, delivered by the British Business Bank, is offering support to businesses to access bank lending and overdrafts. Find out more information on at the British Business Bank’s website.
Support for employees, benefit claimants and businesses
A range of extra support and measures is in place to help workers and businesses affected by coronavirus. Find out more on the government’s website.