Adaptations in your home

During the current coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic you can still apply for adaptations to be completed in your home. The adaptions team have now resumed home visits based on individual circumsatnces and risk assesments. Please bear with the team currenlty as timescales may be elongated due to the volume of applications.

There are several minor adaptations that can be fitted around your home if you live in a Council property.

If you own your home or rent from a private landlord, contact Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190

Our tenants can request the following minor adaptations directly from us: 

  • Grab rails - If you have difficulty getting into your home, you may need a grab rail by the door to help. We can also fit grab rails in the bathroom to help you use the bath safely, or to get up and down when using the toilet.
  • Stair rails - If you are having difficulty climbing the stairs, we can fit a second stair rail on the opposite side to provide extra support and make using the stairs safer.
  • Lever taps - If you are having difficulty turning your taps on or off in your kitchen or bathroom, we can fit lever taps to make them easier to use.

If you feel that any of these adaptations will help, contact us to request them. You will be asked to provide details of your name and address and to describe which adaptation you want and why you need it.

We may ask that you obtain a referral from Social Services to support your application. Once your request has been processed, the work is usually carried out within three to four weeks.

Other help

For more major adaptations, you can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant to help pay for works such as installing a stairlift, widening doorways, installing ramps and installing a level access shower.

If your home cannot be reasonably adapted to meet your needs, you may wish to consider moving to a more suitable property and a Disabled Relocation Grant may be available to help with the costs.

There is further information here:

Disabled facilities grants - Derbyshire County Council

Help to live at home.