New private hire operator's licence
Before we can grant a private hire operator’s licence, we must be satisfied that the applicant is, or applicants are, 'fit and proper' person(s).
To help us determine this, the applicant is required to submit the following documents, in addition to the prescribed application form (pdf, 182kb) and the appropriate fee:
- Basic DBS criminal record certificate for each applicant (less than three months old unless the applicant(s) is/are licensed as private hire driver(s) with this authority) A certificate will be required from all Directors and the Company Secretary if applying as a Company);
- Proof of planning permission for the proposed base;
- Proof of contract in relation to the proposed base;
- Right to work documentation, such as passport or biometric residence permit;
- Public liability insurance (if applicable);
- Employers’ liability insurance (if applicable);
- Current tariff (if any vehicles will have a meter);
- List of staff members who aren't private hire drivers;
- Ex-offender's policy;
- Vetting procedures for staff and private hire drivers;
- DVLA driving licence (for each Director and the Company Secretary if applying as a company);
- DVLA Check Code (for each Director and the Company Secretary if applying as a company);
- Tax Check Code (if currently hold or have held in the last 12 months the same type of licence with this or another Licensing Authority).
Right to work
Your right to work in the UK will be checked as part of your licence application. This could include us checking your immigration status with the Home Office. We may otherwise share information with the Home Office. You must, therefore, provide a document or document combination that is suitable for this check.
You must provide the original document(s) indicated in the published guidance, such as your passport or biometric residence permit, so that the check can take place. The document(s) will be copied, with the original to be returned to you and the copy retained by us. The original document will be returned to you. Your application will not be considered valid until all the necessary information and original document(s) have been produced and the relevant fee has been paid.
If there are any restrictions on the length of time you may work in the UK, your licence will not be issued for longer than this period. In such circumstances, the check will be repeated each time you apply to renew or extend your licence. If during this period, you are disqualified from holding a licence because you have not complied with the UK’s immigration laws, your licence will lapse and you must return it to us. Failure to do so is a criminal offence.
If granted, a private hire operator’s licence will be valid for five years.
Tax Conditionality Checks
From 4th April 2022, it is a requirement to provide a tax check code as part of a renewal application or if you are applying for a new licence with this Licensing Authority but hold or have held in the last 12 months the same type of licence with this or another Licensing Authority.
If this is your first operator's licence or you last held one more than 12 months ago with this or another Licensing Authority, you will need to sign the declaration on the application form above. A tax check code will be required when you come to renew your licence.
If you already hold an operator's licence or have held one in the last 12 months with this or another Licensing Authority, you will need to provide a tax check code as part of your application. You can generate a tax check code using this link and writing on your application form. Your application will not be processed until this check code has been provided.
The new requirements have been put in place by the Government to ensure everyone pays the tax they should, creating a level playing field for the compliant majority.
Please be advised the Licensing Authority will not see details of an applicant's tax affairs. The check code will just confirm the applicant is registered with the HMRC for tax purposes. For more details, please find the Tax Check Factsheet (pdf, 37kb) attached.