Have your say on draft Homeless and Rough Sleeper strategy
The Homeless Act 2002 requires the council to conduct a review of the nature and the extent of homelessness in its district every five years and to develop a strategy setting out how its services will be delivered in the future.
Under the Act, the Homelessness Strategy must seek to achieve the following objectives in the local housing authority’s area:
- The prevention of homelessness
- That suitable accommodation is and will be available for people who are or may become homeless
- That satisfactory support is available for people who are or may become homeless.
In 2018 the Government published their first national Rough Sleeper strategy which obligated local authorities to include a special focus on Rough Sleeping and this is our first Homeless and Rough Sleeper Strategy.
Our draft strategy is now ready for publication and has been shaped by the consultation undertaken in October/ November 2020 with partners, stakeholders’ voluntary sector and local people.
- We believe that our strategic priorities for tackling homelessness and Rough Sleeping in South Derbyshire over the next five years are: Deliver an effective Housing Solutions Service designed to meet the needs of our customers.
- Develop a joined-up approach to homeless prevention and early intervention.
- Ensure an adequate supply of temporary accommodation to meet the needs of customers and reduce the use of bed and breakfast.
- Meet the housing and support needs of clients with multiple and complex needs.
- Develop and improve access to a wide range of settled and supported accommodation solutions.
The overarching aim is to deliver an open and accessible service that helps to prevent homelessness and assists households finding suitable and affordable homes.
South Derbyshire District Council remains committed to working with partners in the statutory and voluntary sectors and with individual households to achieve this goal.
We would welcome views on the strategy generally and particularly whether you think:
- The strategic priorities are the right ones.
- The strategy identifies the key issues.
- Specific actions are required that have not been identified in this action plan.
To give us your views and feedback please complete our short survey: Homelessness and Rough Sleeper Strategy consulation.
The consultation is open from Friday 12 February to Friday 26 March.
Please contact us if you have any questions about the strategy or need the documents in a different form.