Public places and facilities
Social distancing in town centre shops and businesses
Visitors to shopping areas in South Derbyshire are reminded of the need to maintain social distancing as town centre shops and businesses reopen.
Shops and businesses, including non-essential businesses are open in our shopping centres as well as Swadlincote Market.
If you are planning to visit Swadlincote or Melbourne town centres, please follow these guidelines at all times:
- Follow any one way or queueing systems that may be in place including limits on the number of people who can enter any shops at any one time
- Remain at least two metres apart from other people at all times
- Wash your hands regularly where possible and use hand sanitiser where it is provided
- Use contactless payments where available
- Limit the number of visits you make to our town centres
- Shop at off-peak times where possible
- If you have an appointment, please don’t arrive early to limit the number of people in the town centres at any one time
- New Government guidelines will mean that anyone visiting the town centres using public transport must wear a face mask while travelling.
People visiting pubs and restaurants should follow social distancing rules, respect staff, pre-book tables and order food and drink using an app if available. They should also be prepared to give their names and addresses when they are asked.
Anyone visiting hair salons should also make appointments in advance and not arrive early for their appointments to avoid having too many people in the salon at any one time.
Everyone should remember to stay at home if they have any potential symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) these are:
- A high temperature
- A new, persistent cough
- A loss or change to sense of taste and smell.
Green Bank Leisure Centre and Etwall Leisure Centres are now open with social distancing measures in place.
Swimming facilities are due to reopen from Monday 10 August.
Parks and open spaces
Our parks and open spaces are open for people to enjoy including exercising, having picnics and sunbathing.
Facilities in our parks including tennis courts, table tennis, games areas, bowling greens, skate parks and crazy golf areas are now open.
Anyone using these facilities must follow social distancing guidelines at all times – remain two metres from other people as far as possible, not to share equipment and to wash their hands or use hand sanitising gel where possible.
Please explain these restrictions to children and family members who may visit parks without supervision
Don’t visit the park if you are unwell and make sure you sanitise or wash your hands thoroughly after visiting the park; we are unable to sanitise park surfaces.
You will still be able to meet outdoors with groups of up to six people from different households, provided social distancing is observed and you stay two metres away from anyone outside your household.
Community Centres/Town Hall
Following Government guidance on social distancing, we have taken the decision to close Stenson and Midway Community Centres and Swadlincote Town Hall. We are sorry for any inconvenience this causes and will keep you updated.
Cemeteries in South Derbyshire are now open to the public following new Government guidance.
Please observe social distancing when you visit the cemetery – remain at least two metres from people not in your household at all times.
Note: we may have to temporarily close the cemetery to carry out maintenance or for a burial service however it will be re-opened again as soon as possible afterwards.