Showing support for Ukraine
South Derbyshire District Council’s Leader, Councillor Kevin Richards, has joined council leaders in condemning Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
Councillor Richards said: “Like everyone, I have been shocked and appalled by the invasion of Ukraine by Russian forces and by the scenes of ordinary Ukrainian people who have been killed or badly injured.
“Like me, many South Derbyshire residents have been horrified by what they have seen. Many people have contacted me to find out how they can donate to help ordinary people who are suffering.
“We have made information available on the council website with information on where they can donate. Please give as much as you feel able to do to support people affected by the conflict.”
The Ukrainian Country Social Club "Hospoda" in Weston on Trent is collecting for the #HelpUkraine Emergency Appeal. Over £1m has been donated already. To donate, visit: #HelpUkraine Emergency Appeal.
More information on the social club, visit the “Hospoda” Facebook page.
Links to other agencies offering support to people affected by the Ukrainian conflict are listed below:
- Red Cross Ukraine Crisis Appeal.
- Unicef appeal for children in Ukraine
- International Rescue Committee Ukraine appeal
- UN Refugee Agency.
If the conflict in Ukraine is affecting you, friends or family members, you can:
- call the Derbyshire Mental Health Support Line tel: 0800 028 0077 (24 hours per day, seven days per week)
- call the free Samaritans 24-hour support service on tel: 116 123 or contact Samaritans online.
3 March 2022