Food premises registration

If you run a food business it is required by law that it is registered. You must tell us about any premises used for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food. Food premises include kitchens in offices, guest houses, delivery vehicles, market stalls, hot dog and ice cream vans.

Anyone starting a new food business must register with us at least 28 days before doing so


If you use vehicles for your food business connected with permanent premises such as a shop, you only need to tell us how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately. If you have one or more vehicles but no permanent premises, you must tell us where they are normally kept.

Sites with multiple food premises

Each food business must register separately, even on sites under the control of the same operator, such as in a shopping centre.

For sites where there are two or more food businesses under the control of different operators, such as a supermarket with a coffee shop run by a chain, the coffee shop must be registered in its own right.

Coffee shops and snack bars operated by the supermarket itself are covered as part of the store's registration.


Simply click on the green button below to register. We cannot refuse registration and there is no charge. If you use premises in more than one local authority area you must register with each of them separately.

Register your food business

We enter the details on our register. A register of addresses and the type of business is open to inspection by the general public. Other information is not publicly available and will not be disclosed outside of the Council, local Government departments and Government agencies.


Once you have registered you only need to notify us of a change of food business operator, or if the nature of the business changes, or if there is a change of address at which moveable premises are kept. You also need to notify us if you close a business. You can do this by clicking on the green button above.