How much Council Tax do I pay?

You’ll usually have to pay Council Tax if you’re 18 or over and own or rent a home.

Every property is allocated a valuation band from A to H by the Government. Different amounts are payable by properties in each band, with band A being the lowest and band H the highest.

Find your Council Tax band
The amount payable in each band may vary from area to area because of additional amounts added by the Parish Council where you live.

You may also be entitled to a discount, exemption or relief. Details of these, if awarded, will be shown on your latest Council Tax bill.

You may appeal against the Council Tax in one of three ways:

  1. An appeal may be made to the Valuation Officer that the Council Tax band for your property is incorrect.
  2. You may appeal to the Council, in the first instance, that you have not been awarded a discount, relief or exemption to which you believe you are entitled.
  3. An appeal may be made to the Council initially regarding a fine or completion notice served on you by the Council.

If you wish to appeal if you feel that you have not been awarded a discount, relief or expemption which you believe you are entitled to or regarding a fine or completion notice, email or write to:

Revenues - Billing
South Derbyshire District Council
Civic Offices
Civic Way
DE11 0AH

Council Tax is used to pay for services provided by Derbyshire County Council, Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service, Derbyshire’s Police and Crime Commissioner, South Derbyshire District Council, the Environment Agency and some parish councils.

Our Council Tax 2022-2023 (pdf, 2mb)shows how your money is constantly being invested in the District. You can also view Derbyshire County Council's County Council Tax 2022-2023 (pdf, 666kb) and further information about the budget set by the Derbyshire Police and Crime Commissioner.