Reporting fraud

We work in partnership with Derby City Council to tackle fraud.

Our team of investigators look into all reports of fraud and take appropriate action.

We rely on members of the public reporting their concerns to us. Your knowledge and information is vital to identify fraud and help protect the public purse.

Report fraud
Our focus is on clamping down on Council Tax Fraud and Housing Tenancy Fraud. The Department for Work and Pensions is responsible for investigating Housing Benefit fraud.

Council Tax Fraud

Council Tax Fraud is when a person intentionally gives incorrect or misleading information so that they pay less or no Council Tax. Any deliberate attempt to mislead or failure to inform will lead to a penalty being added to your Council Tax bill and, in some cases, prosecution.

Types of Council Tax Fraud include:

  • failing to register to pay Council Tax
  • making a false application for a Council Tax discount or exemption to reduce the Council Tax bill
  • failing to report a change of circumstances that means a person is no longer entitled to a discount or exemption

We take part in the National Fraud Initiative, a country-wide data-matching exercise that targets potential fraud. We also undertake data matching exercises with other external organisations.

Your help in reducing Council Tax Fraud is vital. If you know or suspect that someone is not registered to pay Council Tax, or is claiming a discount or exemption they are not entitled to, report it to us. The information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence.

Report Council Tax Fraud

Housing Tenancy Fraud

We have a duty to ensure that our homes are let fairly and we are working hard to track down housing tenancy fraudsters.

Types of Housing Tenancy Fraud include:

  • Fraudulently obtaining a tenancy by providing false information about housing needs, circumstances or identity in applications for housing
  • Unlawful sub-letting of all or part of a Council-owned property
  • Tenants not using their Council house as their principal home and living elsewhere. This includes instances where a tenant abandons their Council house
  • Wrongly claimed succession of a tenancy following the death or vacation of a tenant
  • Transferring the letting agreement of a house to another tenant without our consent

Your help in reporting housing tenancy fraud is vital, because you can see what is going on in your communities.

If you think someone is living in a Council home without the right to be there, report this to us. The information will be treated in the strictest of confidence.

Report Housing Fraud

If you have any further queries, please get in touch with us by emailing or by telephoning 01283 595795.