Animal boarding establishment licence

This page is in the process of being updated. Please find more information here.

The Animal Boarding Establishment Act 1963 requires any person who keeps a boarding establishment for cats and/or dogs to be licensed by the local authority.

Before booking a cat or dog into boarding accommodation it may be worthwhile to visit more than one establishment as some catteries and kennels may suit the needs or temperament of your cat or dog better than others.

All animals must be up to date in terms of vaccinations before being accepted at a boarding establishment and proof of such will need to be provided to the proprietor upon arrival.

The aim of the licensing requirements is to achieve certain standards in the management of the accommodation and to ensure precautions against disease and fire. Attaching relevant conditions to the licence ensures that animals are kept in suitable accommodation.

No person may keep a boarding establishment for animals without a licence from their local authority. Before making an application you are advised to contact our Planning department to check if you need planning permission.

  • New applications
    You can apply for this licence online or by completing the relevant application form below and returning it to us in the post.

    A licence is required for kennels and/or catteries home boarders and doggy day care providers. A licence for a home boarder will not be granted if any children aged under five years old are living at the premises. For new applications, you must provide the following along with the application form and fee.

    - Public liability insurance
    - Plan of the premises
    - Basic DBS criminal record certificate

    Once an application has been submitted, an inspection will be carried out by a Licensing Officer with a veterinary surgeon. The applicant will be responsible for payment to the veterinary surgeon.
  • Renewals
    For renewals, you will be sent a reminder letter two months before the expiry of your licence. You must submit your application and fee with the current public liability insurance. An inspection shall be carried out to ensure continued compliance with the conditions.

    Tacit consent does not apply to either grant or renewal of an animal establishment boarding licence. There is a right of appeal of any decision within 21 days of the receipt of the decision notification.

    Renew an animal boarding licence
  • Home boarding
    For home boarders, a vet inspection is required when the applicant is planning to board three or more dogs. The vet inspection report must be submitted with the home boarding application form, (pdf, 185kb) supporting documents and fee. We have approved the following vets to carry out home boarding inspections:

    Cockburn Veterinary Practice
    100 London Road
    LE67 3JD

    Telephone: 01530 836654

    Springwood Veterinary Centre
    90 Spring Terrace Road
    DE15 9DX

    Telephone: 01283 568162

    You will be responsible for payment of the vet bill direct. Once a completed application form has been received along with the relevant fee and supporting documentation, a further inspection will be carried out by a Licensing Officer.