Dropped kerbs

We are currently receiving a high number of planning applications which is resulting in delays to our usual response times. We are determining applications and responding to enquiries in the order they are received. We will respond as soon as possible.

There are procedures to help people gain vehicle access from the road, across pavements and verges which count as part of the highway.

A proposal for a new access (dropped kerb) will need to satisfy both planning and highway requirements

Planning permission

If you live on a classified (A, B or C) road, you will need planning permission for a dropped kerb. You can check this using the Derbyshire Mapping Portal.

Planning permission is not usually required if the access is onto an unclassified (minor) road.

You can check if you need planning permission by completing our ​standing advice form.​ (docx, 36kb)

Highway authority

You will need to show them a copy of planning permission for the proposed access or, if permission is not required, a completed copy of our standing advice form (docx, 36kb) To do this, telephone Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190.

State the location of the access and whether you need an access to a private house or a commercial premise.

You can get full details and download an application pack from the vehicular access and dropped kerbs section of the Derbyshire County Council website.