Universal Credit

Universal Credit, administered by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP), will eventually be the main income-related Benefit paid to working age people.

Universal Credit replaces:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

It combines these Benefits into a single, monthly payment.

Universal Credit is now live in South Derbyshire.

The Council is no longer allowed to accept new applications for Housing Benefit unless:

  • You or your partner are at state pension age
  • You are living in supported accommodation
  • You have been placed in temporary accommodation by the Council
  • You are entitled to, or was entitled to within the last month, a Severe Disability Premium (SDP) in your Housing Benefit, Jobseeker’s Allowance (Income Based), Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related) or Income Support claim

If you do not fall within one of these categories you need to make a claim for Universal Credit to the DWP to get help with paying your rent

How do I apply for Universal Credit?

You must apply online by visiting the Universal Credit website, which can be found by clicking the green button below.

Apply for Universal Credit

It is important that a claim for Universal Credit is made over a secure IT connection.

There’s a range of locations across the District where you can use a computer and access the Internet to make a claim.

A list of locations which offer free Wi-Fi can be found on this digital map produced by Citizens Advice South Derbyshire and City.

The Council has secure computers available at the Civic Offices for people without access to IT or secure Wi-Fi. You can also use local libraries, but this is subject to demand and conditions such as membership.

Further information

You can find out more about Universal Credit by:
Phoning the Universal Credit helpline: 0800 328 5644.
Reading our Frequently Asked Questions. (pdf, 277kb)