Housing Benefit and Council Tax reduction

What is Housing Benefit and Council Tax reduction?

Housing Benefit helps people with their rent, which is what you pay your private or social landlord to live in your home.

Council Tax reduction helps people pay Council Tax, which goes towards vital local services we all depend on. To find out more, please download our Local Council Tax Reduction Scheme 2024/2025 (docx, 401kb) and view our Discretionary Council Tax Reduction Policy here

To view previous schemes, please visit: past Council Tax Reduction Schemes.

The amount of Housing Benefit you will receive will depend on your personal circumstances, your income, savings you may have and the rent/Council Tax that you pay.


Should I apply for Housing Benefit or Universal Credit?

You can only apply to the Council for Housing Benefit to help with your rent if:

  • You or your partner are both state pension age
  • You are a ‘mixed age couple’ where one of you are under state pension age but you receive Pension Credit as a couple
  • You are living in supported accommodation
  • You have been placed in temporary accommodation by the Council

If you fall into one of the above categories, you can apply for Housing Benefit online. You can also apply for a Council Tax reduction as part of same online form.

If you don’t fall within one of the above categories then you need to apply for Universal Credit to get help with your rent.

Apply for Universal Credit

If you claim Income Support or Jobseeker’s Allowance you can claim through Jobcentre Plus.

If you are making a claim for pension credits you can claim Housing Benefit at the same time with the Pension Service.

How to apply for Housing Benefit and/or a Council Tax Reduction

If you are applying to us for Housing Benefit, you can apply for a Council Tax reduction as part of the same online form.

If you receive or are applying for Universal Credit, you will also need to apply to us for a Council Tax reduction.

To apply for Housing Benefit and/or a Council Tax reduction, please submit a claim:

Submit a claim

Once your claim has been received and processed, you will receive a letter explaining what you are entitled to and how it has been worked out. If you pay Council Tax you will also receive an amended Council Tax bill.

Sign up for a personalised Benefits account

You can sign in to/register for a personalised Benefits account to see your award, details we currently hold on your claim, copies of correspondence we have sent you as well as information about payments.

Need extra help?

If you will struggle to fill in an online form, please email benefits@southderbyshire.gov.uk or call 01283 595795.