Starting a business
Starting a business, or becoming self-employed, can feel like a big leap. Therefore, it’s worth taking advantage of the advice on offer to give you every chance of success.
- Need to apply for planning permission or want advice on advertising, signage, change of use or a property extension?
- Need a licence for entertainment, alcohol or private hire? What about a permit for your business?
- Want to learn about business rates and relief schemes?
- Want to search for a property or land? You can also check out our commercial property bulletin (pdf, 1.4mb)
- Need to make sure your premises and food businesses are up to scratch? Register your food business, find out about pest control or learn about the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme
- Want to know more about business and commercial waste?
- Fancy setting up a stall on Swadlincote Market? If so, telephone manager Simon Wardle on 07784 033 414 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For free help and support on getting your business up and running, book an appointment with the South Derbyshire Business Advice Service.
Make a business enquiry
There are several other avenues worth exploring. The East Midlands Chamber offers extensive networking opportunities to get you off the ground, while the D2N2 Growth Hub provides details of events and training near to you.
If you are thinking of starting a new business in the area, there is a Derbyshire scheme (pdf, 1.5mb) for start-ups which offers advice, support and funding to get your idea off the ground! The Derbyshire Business Start-Up Scheme is open to people who are thinking about starting a business or who have started a business in the last 12 months, registered in Derby or Derbyshire.
A team of expert Business Advisers are available to offer free and impartial one to one advice and support tailored to your needs, which includes:
• financial planning
• business planning
• signposting to other suitable sources of support
The scheme is open to all industry sectors. New social enterprises are also eligible to apply.