Annual billing FAQ's

Your annual Council Tax bill will be sent out by post in the week commencing March 9, telling you what you need to pay for the year ahead.

A leaflet allowing you to set up a Direct Debit will accompany the letter, but you can also pay online or by calling our 24-hour automated pay line on 01283 595865.

If you plan to make a payment at the Civic Offices in Swadlincote you will need to pay by card at one of our pay machines. The machines do not accept cheques. Please have your account number or bill to hand.

If you’d like to understand your Council Tax bill better then take a look at our guide. (pdf, 1.7mb)


Q: I paid by Direct Debit last year. Do I need to set up another for this year?

A: No. This Direct Debit is still valid and this year’s payment will be made automatically.

Q: My bill is showing I still owe money for the last financial year, but I have paid it. Do I need to contact you?

A: No. If you paid after February 28 (or after February 25 at a paypoint), this is normal due to early bill printing deadlines. The anomaly will be corrected.

Q: I have reported a change in my circumstances, but the change is not showing on my bill. Should I contact you?

A: No. A revised bill featuring the amended information will follow shortly.

Q: I’ve not received my Council Tax bill. When should I contact you?

A: You should have received the bill by March 20. You should only contact us after that date if you’re yet to receive it.

Q: I have received my e-bill but cannot open it. What should I do?

A: You need to enter your account reference number to open the bill. This number is eight digits long and starts with a ‘3’.

Q: I was in credit at the end of the last financial year – has this been taken off my new bill?

A: Yes.

Q: Why has Council Tax increased this year?

A: A reduction in core funding from central Government has meant that, after staying at the same level for the past five years, Council Tax has been increased by 1.95% to help ensure that healthy financial reserves and quality frontline services for South Derbyshire are maintained.

Q: What is my Council Tax spent on?

A: The Council works hard to offer value for money in improving life in the towns and villages of the District. In recent times this has included investing in better recycling opportunities, leisure facilities and green spaces, delivering popular community events like the annual Festival of Leisure and ensuring that food businesses are meeting top hygiene standards.

Q: The income on my benefit assessment is incorrect – what do I do?

A: You need to supply us with the necessary evidence and a covering letter. This will then be amended.

Q: I have received my Council Tax bill but not my benefit assessment letter. What should I do?

A: The assessment letter will follow shortly.

Q: I have reported a change of circumstances but it isn’t showing on my assessment. Should I contact you?

A: A revised assessment will follow shortly.

If you have any further queries you can contact us on 01283 595795. Please bear in mind that Monday is the busiest day of the week in Customer Services, so you may want to time your call accordingly.