Apply for a house

During the current coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, you can still apply to join the waiting list for a house or garage. We will continue to allocate homes to new tenants.  We are not currently allocating garages. 

We allocate all our properties through a choice-based lettings service called South Derbyshire Homefinder. This service advertises Council and housing association homes to rent in South Derbyshire.

Can I apply?

You must have a local connection to South Derbyshire to register.

What is a local connection?

  • You have lived in South Derbyshire for 6 months (out of the last 12 months), or 3 years (out of the last 5 years), or
  • You have worked permanently in South Derbyshire prior to your application for a period of six months or longer, or
  • You have an immediate family member who lives in South Derbyshire and is willing to vouch for you and provide evidence of their address – an immediate family member is classed as a parent (including step, foster and adoptive), a grandparent, a brother/sister (over 18 years old) or a child (over 18 years old).

If you do not have a local connection, you need to apply to the housing register in the area(s) to which you have a local connection, unless:

  • You are fleeing domestic abuse.
  • You are at serious risk of harm/threat to life (we will be notified of this by the Police).
  • You have been in the Armed Forces for the last 5 years, or you have been living in Armed Forces accommodation (we will require evidence).
  • You are over 60 years old.

How to apply

If you have a local connection, or meet the above criteria, to apply for a Council property, please follow the steps outlined below:

  1. Fill in our online declaration form which includes questions regarding medical priority (should you need to move on medical grounds).  
  2. Print and complete Section A of the Landlord Reference Form. (docx, 78kb) (Your landlord will need to complete Section B and return this form via the post to the Housing Options Team, South Derbyshire District Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Swadlincote  
    Derbyshire, DE11 0AH.
  3. Register with Homefinder (you must register before you can apply).
  4. Once you have registered on Homefinder, you will then be able to use your registration details to log in and complete your application form online.

How to search and bid for homes

Once we have assessed your Homefinder application, we will write to you to tell you your application is active.

The letter will tell you which band you are in, your login reference number and how to bid on properties.

You can only bid for a property on the South Derbyshire Homefinder website using your Homefinder login details when you have an active application.