Apply for a house
We allocate all our properties through a choice-based lettings service called South Derbyshire Homefinder. This service advertises Council and housing association homes to rent in South Derbyshire.
Can I apply?
You must have a local connection to South Derbyshire to register
What is a local connection?
- You have lived in South Derbyshire for six months (out of the last 12 months), or three years (out of the last five years), or
- You have worked permanently in South Derbyshire prior to your application for a period of six months or longer, or
- You have an immediate family member who lives in South Derbyshire and is willing to vouch for you and provide evidence of their address – an immediate family member is classed as a parent (including step, foster and adoptive), a grandparent, a brother/sister (over 18 years old) or a child (over 18 years old).
If you do not have a local connection, you need to apply to the housing register in the area(s) to which you have a local connection, unless:
- You are at serious risk of harm/threat to life (we will be notified of this by the Police).
- You have been in the Armed Forces for the last 5 years, or you have been living in Armed Forces accommodation (we will require evidence).
- You are fleeing domestic abuse.
- You are over 60 years old (priority may be reduced)
How to apply
If you meet the above criteria, to apply for a Council property, please follow the steps outlined below:
- Register with Homefinder and apply for housing. This is a two stage process. The registration stage will ask for personal details such as name, address, age etc. Once completed you will be given a reference number -On the same page that gives you your reference number the link is then given to “make a new application for housing”-Please click this link to complete a housing application. Please ensure you answer all questions. Incomplete applications are not viable.
- Once we have received your completed housing application, we will send you an email advising of what documents we now require for your application. Please allow 5 working days after completion of your housing application for this email to be sent out to you.
- If you are already an existing South Derbyshire Council Tenant, less documents are required. Current tenants will need to provide 2 month’s bank statements (including the page showing the account holders name) a signed declaration and proof of any savings you may have or a written statement confirming no savings. You may need to provide additional documents for any new or additional household members.
- Please note that all new housing applications are suspended until all documents have been received and approved.
If you are a previous applicant, you do not need to re-register. You can log in using LOGIN/STATUS and complete a new application with your existing reference. Please email email@example.com for a reference reminder.
How to search and bid for homes
Once we have assessed your Homefinder application, we will write to you to tell you your application is active.
The letter will tell you which band you are in, your login reference number and how to bid on properties.
You can only bid for a property on the South Derbyshire Homefinder website using your Homefinder login details when you have an active application.