Domestic Energy Efficiency

Heating and lighting homes can be a significant cost, be it for an owner occupier, private tenant, or social housing tenant.

Heating and lighting homes also cost the environment. Current estimates suggest that about 24% of all carbon emissions in South Derbyshire come from residential properties – roughly 170,000 tonnes of CO2 a year.

This page provides some advice on how to reduce the energy demands in your house. It also provides links to the various potential sources of financial support for domestic energy bills.  

Understand the Current Energy Rating of Your House

About half of the houses in the UK have been assessed for their energy performance and their energy efficiency has been scored in an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

The EPC for each property also contains lots of property specific measures which can be taken and how much energy (and money) those measures will deliver.

Find the EPC rating of your house or similar houses nearby by postcode or street name -  Find an energy certificate - GOV.UK (

If your house doesn’t have an energy rating, you can get one done - Get a new energy certificate - GOV.UK (

All private rented properties must have been given an EPC rating of E or better (there are a few exemptions to this). If you live in a private rented house and it does not met this standard you can report it to us as a Problem with  Private Rented Property  

Reducing Energy at no Cost

The Simple Energy Advice website gives independent advice on reducing bills and making homes warmer as well as providing an energy efficiency calculator and postcode-level information on financial assistance and grants.

Energy Savings Trust Quick tips to save energy at home and more in -depth advice about energy at home

Which also provide lots of free consumer advice such as how to save energy

Local advice is available through the Warmer Derby & Derbyshire Energy Advice Service Freephone: 0800 677 1332 or email

Investing in Energy Improvements

It’s always worth getting advice on how to make the best investment to save money and reduce carbon emissions. There are an increasing number of grants available to subsidise carbon reduction measures.

The Energy Savings Trust provide a Home Renewables Selector which is an interactive tool that helps you decide what renewable energy technologies are best for your home.

EST also provide wind and solar energy calculators to find out whether solar or wind energy is right for you

The Centre for Sustainable Energy also provide a website with lots of details about the different options available.

Finding Grants and Financial Support

Derbyshire County Council have put together a Healthy, warm and well in Derbyshire website for Autumn 2021 to link to support available to Derbyshire residents throughout Autumn and Winter. This includes information on grants and financial support, practical help, food, employment, utilities and much more.

Ofgem is Great Britain’s independent energy regulator and publish Schemes, grants and benefits to help with home energy

Warm Home Discount Scheme. You could get £140 off your electricity bill for winter under the Warm Home Discount Scheme.

If you're receiving certain benefits, you may be entitled to a Cold Weather Payment

Citizens Advice provide advice about Grants and benefits to help you pay your energy bills

South Derbyshire District Council is currently offering a Green Homes Grant to fund improvements for owner occupied or private rented properties.

Connected for Warmth is a nationwide programme that supports low income and low energy efficient houses through fully funded heating and insulation. The scheme is managed by AgilityEco in partnership with Affordable Warmth Solutions and funded by National Grid.

You can apply for full funding for:

  • Housing insulation measures if your home is in the Council Tax Bands A, B, C, or D
  • Air Source Heat Pump Scheme if your house has an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of E, F or G,  has never had a central heating system and your house must be insulated. 

Read more about eligibility and apply, please see: Connected for Warmth (pdf, 721kb)

Dealing with Energy Debt

Local advice from Derbyshire County Council at Financial action and advice

Citizens Advice also provide advice at Your energy supply - Citizens Advice