Apply for a house
We allocate all our properties through a choice-based lettings service. This service advertises Council and housing association homes to rent in South Derbyshire. To apply, visit: www.southderbyshire.gov.uk/housing-register.
Can I apply?
You must have a local connection to South Derbyshire to register
What is a local connection?
- You have lived in South Derbyshire for six months (out of the last 12 months), or three years (out of the last five years), or
- You have worked permanently in South Derbyshire prior to your application for a period of six months or longer, or
- You have an immediate family member who lives in South Derbyshire and is willing to vouch for you and provide evidence of their address – an immediate family member who lives in South Derbyshire and is willing to vouch for you and provide evidence of their address – an immediate family member (grandparent / parent / adult child / sibling).
If you do not have a local connection, you need to apply to the housing register in the area(s) to which you have a local connection, unless:
- You are at serious risk of harm/threat to life (we will be notified of this by the Police).
- You have been in the Armed Forces for the last 5 years, or you have been living in Armed Forces accommodation (we will require evidence).
- You are fleeing domestic abuse.
- You are over 60 years old (priority may be reduced)
How to apply
If you meet the above criteria, please follow the steps outlined below:
Register at www.southderbyshire.gov.uk/housing-register and apply for housing. Make sure that after you register, go on to complete the application in full, ensuring you advise of all the reasons you need to move.
At the end of your application, you will be asked to provide supporting documents. Your application will not be assessed until these are provided. You can upload these directly to your online application. If you are having difficulty doing this, please contact the Council on 01283 595795 or by email to Housing.Register@southderbyshire.gov.uk
If you do not provide the documentation requested within 28 days, your application will be closed.
Once your application is complete, and all documentation is provided, we will aim to assess it within ten working days. You can check progress through the Jigsaw website by logging into your application.
If you are eligible, you will be able to download your banding letter which will tell you which band you are in and you will be able to place bids on eligible properties each week.